Date:      Sun, 17 Dec 2000 12:14:09 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
Cc:        Andrew Reilly <areilly@bigpond.net.au>, Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>, Patryk Zadarnowski <pat@jantar.org>, Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at>, SteveB <admin@bsdfan.cncdsl.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel type

On Sun, 17 Dec 2000, Nate Williams wrote:

> Kernel threads out of the box?

The Mach kernel makes use of a thread primitive and a task primitive;
however, their BSD OS personality is largely single-threaded with
something approximately equivilent to our Giant -- they refer to this as a
"Funnel", through which access to the BSD code is funneled so as to
prevent problems.  My understanding from a brief chat while in their
Cupertino office is that they are in the process of gradually pushing
locks down for specific subsystems (networking, etc), in much the same
style we are.  While there, I suggested that closer coordination between
our development teams could save a lot of redundant work, given that the
primitives we're using are probably quite similar (although presumably
non-identical).  It would be great if someone wanted to step up and help
Apple coordinate their work with our work better, as it would allow more
code sharing and more rapid development, as well as more wide-spread
testing.  If anyone is interested in looking at doing this, I have a list
of relevent contacts in their kernel group.