Date:      Fri, 14 Jul 2000 18:10:26 +0530
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        James Howard <howardjp@wam.umd.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Pet Theory for World Domination

> > > compiler, to build a full Unix without the GPL in the way.  BSDi would
> >
> > I'm curious: how does SCO's compiler compare with gcc, speed-wise and
> > optimisation-wise?  What about the c++ compiler?  And do they have a
> > good fortran compiler?  Anyone know?
>
> Heresay and conjectre follows, here be dragons, be warned.
>
> I have heard SCO's beats the pants off every both in compiler performance
> and in performance of generated code.  This would seem to make sense since
> they are not hot to trot for portability and can genuienly focus on one or
> two platforms.

Well, definitely optimisation in gcc may suffer a bit because of their
focus on portability; but on intel I've heard it's pretty good (I have
nothing to compare it with but can't say).  On alpha/linux I know
Compaq's (Digital) compiler produces faster code, but it's not
mindnumbingly faster: typically 10%-20%, and on some of my code
they're actually level.  (The fortran is a different story: no
comparison between compaq and g77.)  And the Compaq compiler is
supposed to be one of the best around.  So I'd be surprised if SCO's
C compiler "beats the pants off" gcc.

Anyway, in this purely hypothetical scenario of BSDi buying SCO, I'd
like to see the switch to SCO's compiler if it's really better, but
not for purely ideological reasons.

Rahul.