Date:      Mon, 7 Feb 2000 09:38:02 +0100
From:      "Laurens Vrijnsen" <l.j.g.vrijnsen@stud.tue.nl>
To:        <we-@softweyr.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: fxp driver causing lockup

Hi Wes!

Thank you very much for your email of March 18, 1999 to the freebsd-net
list!
Your fix of if_fxp.c allowed me to start using my i82557 ethernet
controller.

Here's some data on my box: I have an IBM PC300PL (Pentium 233) with an
onboard i82557 chipset. I'm still using FreeBSD-3.1 (but waiting for my
3.4-copy).
The kernel compiled very well without the fix and ifconfig recognized the
interface.
BUT, as soon as I ran the command

  ifconfig fxp0 inet 10.0.0.1 netmask 0xffffff00

(or any other inet options...) the computer simply halted operation.
Changing the source
(pci/if_fxp.c) was the solution. For some reason, your diff was not handled
well by patch
(chunks 2 and 3 failed), but vi does the job as well :-)

A copy of this is sent to freebsd-net because that's where I found your
patch (thanks to
egroups.com). I hope that your e-mail may help some more people having
problems with
their fxp-driver.

Thanks again! Best wishes,

_-= Laurens Vrijnsen =-_