Date:      Thu, 21 Jun 2001 22:55:16 +0100
From:      David Dooley <dpd@raffles-it.com>
To:        tcoon@cup.hp.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Install question

--==_Exmh_-845089296P

Tony,

I don't know if it will help, but I have a machine that installs just
fine, but refuses to boot. My system is a Digital 5000 series
machine. I asked here in "questions" and several people responded.
Several with patches to modify the boot block code, I was not
comfortable about installing these patches and finally a message from
one person saying to install with the standard boot loader and not
the FreeBSD one. This worked for me, but it meant that the system was
dedicated to FreeBSD and would not be available to share with other
OS's. This is not a problem for me as all my systems only have
FreeBSD installed. I also meant that I didn't have to remember
something special for the upgrade/maintenance of that 1 machine.

Enjoy,

David.

> I tried to install from a BSDi FreeBSD disc dated August 2000, and all
> appeared to be going as expected, however when the system rebooted after
> the install it goes through the firmware POST, etc, then just a blank
> screen with a blinking cursor.  If the disc is disconnected, it delivers
> a "insert floppy" or some such message, so it looks like the firmware is
> finding the boot loader.
>
> The machine is an unremarkable 200Mhz Pentium with IDE drive.  The video
> is a bog standard Matrox Millineum VGA.
>
> I've tried this install a couple of times with the same result.  There
> seems to be nothing in the instructions or FAQ that describes this.
>
> Any ideas where I can start looking aor where I may have gone wrong
> during the install?
>
> cheers,
> tony
> --
>
> Tony Coon                                      (408) 447-4095
> Hewlett-Packard                                tcoon@cup.hp.com
> 19420 Homestead Rd  M/S 43LK  Cupertino, California 95014-0683
>    "No amount of careful planning will ever replace dumb luck"

--==_Exmh_-845089296P

--==_Exmh_-845089296P--