Date:      Thu, 08 Feb 2001 23:37:21 -0500
From:      Kevin Brunelle <kruptos@netzero.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   WTF is axon-lm?

Okay,

Port 1548 was running the axon license manager {axon-lm}. When I ran
sockstat I did not see any program that was using that port listed. Yet,
nmap showed it was there. I nmap'd a few times and it remained. Out of
fear that is was something bad, I rebooted. It has not shown up since,
and I can't think of a program I ran then that I haven't run since.

Could someone tell me what this program is supposed to do? What could
have started it? And why it wasn't listed in sockstat?

I have noticed that when I do an nslookup, and then an nmap 127.0.0.1
after I quit, I seem to get a random open port or two. Like the
following. This does not happen every time but it happens enough that I
think the open ports are connected to it. Is this normal? And could it
have something to do with what I saw before? Note: These went away
shortly, but the axon-lm stayed active till I shutdown.

--- First time
2038/tcp   open        objectmanager
--- Second time
1083/tcp   open        ansoft-lm-1
3455/tcp   open        prsvp

Any advice you can give would be great, I am not a novice -- but I have
no clue about this!

Kevin Brunelle
--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of sysadmins,
for they are subtle and quick to anger."