Date:      Sat, 18 Apr 1998 21:27:10 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Vibra16X support (tested!)

Hi,

I have borrowed a Vibra16X and I think I have made some progress
in supporting it (and clones). The relevant (very alpha) code is
at http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/snd980419.tgz

I have tried it on a 2.2.6-stable of a few days ago, just stick
the files in /sys/i386/isa/snd and rebuild the kernel.  Playback
works fine, a solution for capture is still in the works.

This code also includes minor bugfixes that a few people posted in
the last weeks, including support for another Yamaha OPL/SA3, and
a minor fix for SB16 in full duplex.

DETAILS:

The patch that I posted some time ago was almost correct, except
for a minor bug, where i set the flag identifying the Vibra16X in
the wrong data structure. I have fixed it, and now it is possible
to play sounds on the card in all formats.

For capture, my guess (partially confirmed by experiments) is that
the Vibra16X, assigns DRQs to channels (capture/playbck) dynamically.
So when the first channel is started (be it playback or capture)
it gets drq0, and then the other channel gets drq1.

I am a bit unclear on how to accomodate full duplex operation
(assuming the card supports it) in my driver, since other cards
that i know of work as follows:

  * MSS and clones assign dma channels statically: drq0 is used for
    playback, drq1 is used for capture;
  * the old SB16 (and the Vibra16C) assigns dma channels depending on
    the format: drq0 is used for 8-bit formats, drq1 is used for
    16-bit formats.

Boy, I really needed this third allocation strategy used by the
Vibra16X ...

	cheers
	luigi