Date:      Mon, 27 Feb 2006 13:22:54 -0700
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@freebsd.org>
To:        ticso@cicely.de
Cc:        Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely12.cicely.de>, freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Automatic unit start broken?

On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 21:16:45 +0100, Bernd Walter wrote:
> It seems that FreeBSD doesn't start disks anymore.

That's strange, I don't think anything has changed in that area recently.

> Disks which delayed start won't get probed by GEOM when they are not
> ready when GEOM tries - at least one can delay booting in this case.
> Disks which don't startup unless told never get working - I currently
> start them manually in rc-scripts and tell GEOM to reprobe, but this
> is not always an option, e.g. in case of / drive.
> All in all this is very annoying since I have not much options about
> changing the disk spin-up policy.

What error code do your disks return?  You will probably see some console
output if GEOM has tried to read metadata off the disk and that initial
read fails.

If the drive returns 0x04,0x02 ("Logical unit not ready, initializing cmd.
required"), CAM will attempt to spin the disk up automatically and retry
the command.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry