Date:      Wed, 3 Mar 2004 16:50:32 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        ron.joordens@indec.com.au (Ron Joordens)
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: /root file system full

> Good Morning,
>
> I have recently installed FreeBSD 4.9  and have thoroughly enjoyed my first
> foray into the BSD world. Indeed my first foray into any non-windows OS. So
> far I have encountered quite a few problems but have always managed to find
> an answer in the handbook or by searching through the extensive resources
> available on the net. Great documentaion! This is the first time I have
> needed to ask a question.

Good.

> My / filesystem is full. 109%. I want to know what is on the / filesystem,
> what I can get rid of, how to get rid of it and how to make sure that it
> doesn't happen again.

First, use the program to check usage of a disk.
Since it is / that is overfull,
log in or su to root
   cd /
   du -sk *

Then find out which directory trees or files are using up
all the space.
CD in to those directories and do the same thing until you
find some things that seem unexpectedly large or unnecessary.
Then you can delete unneeded things.

In spite of a pretty good system, upgrades and installs can use
up space and leave extra stuff lying around.   Some of them clean
up after themselves well and some don't do so well.

As for the amount of space you need in a / filesystem, I think
that the 128 MB is unrealistic.   If you have just a base system
and stay right on top of it all the time, you can get by with that
amount.   With disks being so much larget nowdays, I let myself
have more, maybe double or so.   But, on the machine I am on at
the moment, although I have a bigger root, only 43 MB of it is used.

The next thing is to figure out your whole disk partitioning scheme.
Generally I make sure that /var and /usr either are separate file
systems or at least that the parts of them such as /var/spool
and /var/log and /usr/ports and /usr/src and /usr/local are all
moved to some big space and symlinked.

Without knowing more about what you have where, it isn't possible
to say anything more specific.

////jerry