Date:      Tue, 05 Feb 2008 13:13:00 -0500
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        jahnke@sonatabio.com
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Desktop Not Loading

--=-diY2ZKZgjrnWoHc7r4QK

On Tue, 2008-02-05 at 09:34 -0800, Frank Jahnke wrote:
> For some reason my desktop is not loading.  When I start Gnome (through
> "startx") the Gnome splash screen loads, and some applications start.
> The top and bottom bars are as they should be.  However, the wallpaper
> and the desktop icons do not load.  Looking at the console start-up
> messages provides no clues.  Most of the applications work as expected,
> but (for example) the desktop appearance (from System -> Preferences)
> does not.
>=20
> Usually there is a dot file that, when removed, eliminates this sort of
> thing.  Unfortunately, I've no idea which one this might be.  Any advice
> would be most appreciated.

This could be a problem with Nautilus alone (i.e. it's crashing), or you
may need to follow the steps at
http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/faq2.html#q20 .  If Nautilus is
crashing, you will need to follow the steps at
http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/bugging.html to get a proper
backtrace.

Joe

--=20