Date:      Mon, 12 Apr 1999 22:51:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Bruce M. Walter" <walter@fortean.com>
To:        "Gooderum, Mark" <mark@jumpweb.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: More DEC Multia Questions

> I know, I'm just full of them...first, thanks to everyone pointing out the
> obvious, the Multia fan blows _out_, not _in_.  That's what I get for
> pondering EMail and holding my hand over vents at 2am after changing a flat
> in 40 Deg rain.  Although Bruce's mention of a 3X capacity fan is of
> Interest...how does one get a hold of McMaster Carr and what's the part #.

See the 'My Multia doubles as a space heater' section of:

ftp://ftp.tuwien.ac.at/opsys/aux/netbsd/htdocs/Ports/alpha/multiafaq.html

for lots of good Multia info along with the part numbers for several fans
from McMaster Carr.  I've got a bunch of Multia urls compiled and if I get
through this list of who's naughty and who's nice before December, I'll
post it somewhere accessible. ;)

Please note that I can confirm the authors claim that the Multia which
once doubled as a space heater now sounds like a turbo-prop airplane.
Ciest la vie!

> Seeing the ncr0 errors again, first is a 'SCSI phase error: CCB already
> dequed" followed by repeated "timeout nccb" errors.

Is this an (older) Quantum drive?  I originally had mine hooked up to an
LPS 500mb, which the NCR did NOT like...  Replacing it with a newer
Quantum 2.1gb and an IBM DCARS did the trick.  Apparently Quantum's older
firmware really was quite sketchy.

> dec_axppci_33_intr_map: bad interrupt pin XX:
>
> During boot with the GENERIC kernel, I get bunches of
> dec_axppci_33_intr_map: bad interrupt pin XX errors.  Lots of 30s and one
> 0x79.

The flaky DEC Multia firmware strikes again.  Wilko and others are rumored
to have a copy of an unreleased firmware revision from DEC which solves
this problem.  Chances are it is the fw which originated from Chris
Demetriou, but I've not been able to get a hold of it.  Basically, the PCI
controller is finding nonexistant garbage devices at every possible
address on the bus.  It *SHOULDN'T* actually do any harm, but one never
knows...

Just to let you know, I replaced my non-pci-slot NCR riser with the model
which has a pci slot naievely thinking it may help.  Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
Wrong answer :(

- Bruce

Bruce M. Walter, Principal
NIXdesign Group Inc.