Date:      Mon, 16 Apr 2001 21:36:39 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@ambrisko.com>
Cc:        Andre Oppermann <oppermann@telehouse.ch>, Andre Oppermann <oppermann@monzoon.net>, Duncan Barclay <dmlb@dmlb.org>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Use of if_ef for 802.11 interfaces?

--C7zPtVaVf+AK4Oqc

On Mon, Apr 16, 2001 at 08:26:04PM -0700, Doug Ambrisko wrote:
> Also it will be interesting how we support LEAP that requires a user name
> passwd to be entered.  I'm just starting to investigate that.

I beleve windows does this via a tray icon.  It seems to me that this
problem is probably best handled by an entierly different machanism.
We could add a stupid IEEE80211_IOC_EAP_INFO ioctl to set it, but I
feel that's an invalid solution because it discounts valid options like
using one time passwords for network authentication.  Also, the user
to be entering this data is the one on the console, not necessicairly
the administrator of the system so privs get confused.  Finally, this
problem is very similar to other problems such as cfs key prompting.
For these reason, I don't think a ioctl really provides an appropriate
interface for this functionality.

I think the thing it's closest too today is devd (the currently
non-existant replacement for pccard, usbd, etc) except that the devd
static implementation is really just the special case for embeded
solutions and in other cases you will actually need to prompt the user.
That's the hard part.  For some UIs prompting the user is pretty obvious.
In KDE or Gnome, you create something that sits on a socket or device
node and prompts the users when the kernel tells it to.  For the console,
it's much more complicated.  The only solutions I've come up with involve
biff or wall like async notification coupled with a program users can
run to handle outstanding requests.

-- Brooks

--=20

--C7zPtVaVf+AK4Oqc