Date:      Sun, 28 Jun 1998 02:16:59 -0700
From:      Josef Grosch <jgrosch@superior.mooseriver.com>
To:        Frank Pawlak <fpawlak@execpc.com>, David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Does it's true?

On Sun, Jun 28, 1998 at 08:19:07AM +0000, Frank Pawlak wrote:
> On Jun 27,  5:45pm, David Kelly wrote:
> > Subject: Re: Does it's true?
> > "Frank Pawlak" writes:
> > >
> > > Even the deer, a relatively small animal during the rut can pose a
> > > danger.  And that leads me to my point.  Knowing what the animal is
> > > all about before entering its' environment enables you to minimize the
> > > risk of harm and allow the animal to live right along side of you.
> >
> > Rutting has very little to do with deer and automobiles. "Headlights"
> > are the cause of automobile/deer unintentional interfaces. Its common
> > for a deer to freeze staring into the oncoming headlights. Often the
> > deer is on the side of the road, freezes, doesn't panic until the
> > automobile is very close. Then jumps in front of the automobile.
>
> You are right about the effects of headlights on causing deer to freeze.
> However male deer are more active and agressive during the rutting
> season.  I was speaking in terms of personal danger, being in the woods
> during the rutting season, and not necessarily deer and and cars.

One must also remember that roads and highways ofter intersect the
"natural" path the deer take between their feeding and sleeping area. I
used to know of several in both the Twin Cities and Chicago area. You
could almost set a watch to the deer crossing the highway. Often at sunrise
and sunset with the predictable results.

> > Lets cure this problem once and for all, lets outlaw headlights.
> >
> > "the deer, a relatively small animal"  Hah! You've never seen a typical
> > Detroit-built American Land Barge totaled by one little deer? One
> > little deer can easily destroy the bumper, headlights, grill, hood,
> > fender and windshield. If the roof line gets bent too, the vehicle is
> > usually totaled.
>
> Hah! try running into a moose sometime,  Guaranteed the damage will be
> greater.
>  Larger animal = greater damage.  Not too difficult.

Agree. The average male White Tail weighs around 350 lbs. and is around
4 foot high at the shoulder. The average male moose, around 1300 lbs.
and over 6 foot at the shoulder.

I once saw a Nissan pickup hit a moose on US highway 61, which runs between
Duluth and Thunder Bay. The moose got up and calmly walked into the
woods. The Nissan looked like a beer can that some one had dropped a 5 lb
sledgehammer on.

> > There is probably not a single Wal-Mart or K-Mart in the continental US
> > that doesn't sell "deer whistles" to be mounted on your front bumper.
> > The theory is a deer will run from the right high pitched whistle as
> > some vehicles were observed to be hit by deer very rarely, and guessed
> > this was due to their sound.
>
> I am well aware of these devices and their purpose.  I have heard that
> they do work.  I have racked up about 100,000 miles driving between
> Minneapolis and Milwaukee, a 750 mile round trip, and have yet to hit a
> deer. That area of the state has a very heavy deer population.  I don't
> use whistles.  Maybe I am just luckey or careful and have some knowledge
> of what to look for when deer are present.  A lot of those miles were
> driven in the 90 mph range.  Course I also drive race cars, not as much
> as I use to, which may account for alertness and quick reactions.

I do not agree. My first wife had one of those things on her car and in the
4 years she had the car she must have hit 2 deer a year. The car was
trashed by the time we got rid of it. It became a standing joke with the
local police to ask her if she had a permit to hunt deer with her car. ;-)
My experance is that those devices have no affect weither you hit a deer or
not. I have known people who had them and never hit a deer and people who
had them who were getting their limit every season using their car.

My guess is that if you were running between Minneapolis and Milwaukee you
were taking 90/94 and you were going through the area with the high deer
population either at night or midday, both times when the deer are resting.

Josef

--
Josef Grosch           | Another day closer to a |    FreeBSD 2.2.7
jgrosch@MooseRiver.com |   Micro$oft free world  | UNIX for the masses