Date:      Wed, 25 Apr 2001 16:43:31 +0100
From:      Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        Oliver Cook <ollie@uk.clara.net>
Cc:        Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, iedowse@maths.tcd.ie
Subject:   Re: open (vfs_syscalls.c:994) && NFS

In message <20010425160657.B38996@mutare.noc.clara.net>, Oliver Cook writes:
>However, the more noticeable problem was the processes stuck in
>nfsvin because of the broken directory entry. Have you any ideas
>as to what would be causing that particular problem which is
>plaguing our servers more than the vmopar problem?

The processes stuck in "nfsvinval" are just a side-effect of the
vmopar problem; they should go away too when you upgrade. I forget
the details, but I think the vmopar-hung process is holding some
lock so any other processes that try to access the same file hang
in nfsvinval. You can probably verify that every time there are
processes stuck in "nfsvinval" there is at least one process stuck
in "vmopar".

I haven't seen any evidence of the broken directory entries you
mention - maybe you're reading too far into the struct nameidata
fields in "nd". It may be normal for some fields to be uninitialised
or point at junk data.

Ian