Date:      Sun, 31 Jan 1999 19:58:25 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Avalon Books <avalon@advicom.net>
Cc:        Hellmuth Michaelis <hm@kts.org>, Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>, isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: If they US contingent wants ISDN4BSD...

In message <Pine.BSF.4.05.9901311205590.4275-100000@vespucci.advicom.net>, Aval
on Books writes:

>On Sun, 31 Jan 1999, Hellmuth Michaelis wrote:
>
>> Either the stack moves to Hamburg or Hamburg moves to the stack
>> (or - even better - nothing moves and someone from the US does it).
>
>   Spoken like a true European. And everyone wonders why Americans can't
>seem to get any help on this mailing list...
>
>   In typical fashion, we North Americans are simply going to have to
>help ourselves. And that's fine with us--we're getting used to this "cold
>shoulder" attitude from our foriegn "counter-parts".

Yes, in fact, that is exactly the situation.

And there is nothing wrong with it!

Hellmuth spent a LOT of his spare time already, you have the source
which is the result of that, you have access to the hardware & the
switch (neither of which Hellmuth has), what on earth makes you
think you can ask Hellmuth (or anybody else!) to do it on your
terms ???

It has nothing to do with Hellmuth being european, it has to do with
the fact that he is a volounteer who have already put in more time
and effort than you can possibly imagine, and then you come in like
a spoiled brat and demand that he make it work for you too.

I'm sorry Biff, we don't play that way around here!

>   I will be formally requesting that the FreeBSD core group start the
>"freebsd-us-isdn" mailing list.

There is no point in doing so, since the only purpose is to enforce
a geographical split you perceive but which doesn't exist in reality.

>P.S. Forgive me if I've clouded the issue with too many facts. Sorry.

You most certainly havn't, and there doesn't seem to be any reason
to fear that it will happen any time soon.

Instead of replying: please switch to Linux and leave us alone.

Poul-Henning,
Spoken as a 386BSD/FreeBSD volounteer for longer than I care to remember.

FreeBSD -- It will take a long time before progress goes too far!