Date:      Sun, 25 Jan 1998 17:39:36 -0800
From:      Shen Lin <shenlin@earthlink.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   3COM/USR 5610A & More...

Hello,

I was reading through various PPP configuration tutorials and was wondering
if I could use my 3COM/USR 5610A PCI modem. I see that you have to
explicitly set COM ports in /etc/ppp/ppp.conf. What do I set for 'set
device' on a PCI modem with no COM/IRQ jumpers? Does FreeBSD automatically
allocate an open COM port for PCI modems w/o COM/IRQ jumpers? Is there a
command that I could run to find out which COM port the device is set as? I
took a look at the output of dmesg, to no avail.

Also, is it possible to dial out of my Win2K Pro box, executing the ppp
daemon FreeBSD automatically (on-demand)? Give the Win2K box a gateway that
corresponds to the FreeBSD box? Then how would DUN execute the ppp daemon?

Another question: If I installed IPFilter on one box and an IDS on another,
would I have to install NFS in order for the boxes to see each other? I
would presume that file sharing would not be necessary at such a low-level,
packet filtering layer. Yes, I am a UNIX newbie!

If I wanted to manage the firewall and IDS logs on a separate box, would I
configure the IDS to push or the management box to pull the log
information? What about the installation of NFS in such a case?

OK, just a few more questions: I usually remove certain /system32 files
such as 'at' and burn them on a CDR to be used as needed. Can I accomplish
the same feat in FreeBSD? For example, removing crontab from /usr/bin and
it's source to CDR to be used as needed?

Does FreeBSD have a /usr/xpg4 equivalent?

There was also an article on SecurityFocus that mentioned something about
cutting the transmit link (cable) for the IDS > IDS management box.
Can someone direct me to some more information regarding this? Thank you in
advance!