Date:      Fri, 16 Feb 2001 12:55:32 -1000
From:      ken@mui.net
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        sendmail@sendmail.org
Subject:   simple idea to rid the world of most spam

Ok all, here's something that has been bugging me for months.  It's
a very very simple idea, but I don't have the knowledge to do this:

Have you ever noticed how spam seems to come in the same
order and how there's a ton of incorrect email addresses that is
sent?

Why can't some kind of email filter be set up that works like this?

incorrect email sent to account A-----> turn flag on
2nd incorrect email sent to account B ---------> turn 2nd flag on
if 2 flags, then refuse ALL email sent from that account, place that
name in the ban list.

The chances of someone sending email to 2 accounts that never
existed = 99% chance that person is sending spam.

I've already talked to some people till I'm blue in the face.   I'm
certainly not smart enough to code it, but I'm hoping someone smart
out there does this ...