Date:      Tue, 2 Nov 1999 21:39:47 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GENERIC build broken

:>     Huh?  And replace it with what?  BOOTP is the only way to get an NFS
:>     root and swap.
:
:No; that's what the loader is for.  The kernel shouldn't be doing any
:application-level snot like BOOTP at all.
:
:The same work was previously done by netboot; putting bootp into the
:kernel was _always_ the wrong idea.
:
:--
:\\ Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. \\  Mike Smith

    Great in theory, but unless someone is actually willing to do the
    great deal of work required to support this we're stuck with BOOTP
    in the kernel.  Even if you were to do this most of the junk in the
    kernel to actually do the mounts would have to stick around.  Frankly,
    I don't think it's such a big deal to leave it in the kernel, you
    wouldn't actually be cleaning much up by moving it out.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>