Date:      Fri, 3 Oct 1997 21:23:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "John T. Farmer" <jfarmer@sabre.goldsword.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, gljohns@bellsouth.net
Cc:        jfarmer@goldsword.com
Subject:   Re: AMD and Cyrix chips

On Thu, 02 Oct 1997 22:54:32 -0500 Glenn Johnson said:
>I am planning on replacing my AMD K5-75 chip with either an AMD K6-166 or a
>Cyrix 6x86MX P200 running at 166 MHz. Does anyone have any recommendations on
>which one I should upgrade to? I know there were some problems with the K6
>that seem to have been resolved. Are there any issues with the Cyrix chip?
>Thanks.

It's a bit early to declare it solved, but it appears that AMD did
indeed find the problem in the K6 and more recent chips are operating
fine under FreeBSD.  Several people with new, corrected, chips have
reported to be able to "make worlds" all day long...

Next week I'm probably going to order a K6 to do back-to-back testing
against a Cyrix 6x86MX chip.

John

John T. Farmer			Proprietor, GoldSword Systems
jfarmer@goldsword.com		Public Internet Access in East Tennessee
dial-in (423)470-9953		for info, e-mail to info@goldsword.com
	Network Design, Internet Services & Servers, Consulting