Date:      Sun, 13 Jan 2002 12:00:04 -0600 (CST)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Joe & Fhe Barbish <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
Cc:        FBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ntpd as time server?

On Sun, 13 Jan 2002, Joe & Fhe Barbish wrote:

> The final option is ntpd. This function does get the time from a
> internet ntp server to update the requesting FBSD box, and keeps
> the clock accurate by making very small adjustment over long
> periods of time. It can be configurated to broadcast time packets
> to all machines on the private net it is connected to. It is not a
> ntp time server with a unique IP address.

That last sentence is incorrect.  Incidentally, I haven't seen a
single post in reply to your original question that actually answered
your question.  YES, the ntpd included with FreeBSD IS an ntp time
server and can act as a time source for all 700 or so of your current
ntp clients.  As long as ntpd is running, it Just Works.  After first
starting the server, it can take some time before ntpd feels that it
is a valid time source and will begin allowing clients to synchronize
with it.  I've noticed this usually only takes a couple of minutes,
but it can be confusing when you immediately start the ntp server and
then attempt to test it with a client and it fails.

> Only FBSD boxes on the private net with ntpd clients can hear the
> broadcasted time packets and adjust there clocks. The only way for
> a Winbox to use this function is to have Samba running on the FBSD
> to fake out the Winboxs into thinking it's a NT or Win2k server.

That is one option, and is the only way to synchronize time on Win9X
clients without installing additional software.  Only Windows 2000 and
Windows XP have built-in ntp clients.

--
 Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
 FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet