Date:      Thu, 12 Nov 1998 20:24:47 -0600 (CST)
From:      Bruce Albrecht <bruce@zuhause.mn.org>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problems with ppp -alias in -current

Doug White writes:
 > On Thu, 12 Nov 1998, Bruce Albrecht wrote:
 >
 > > I recently upgraded to -current (from a 12/97 vintage of -current) and
 > > I can no longer access the internet from my second computer (running
 > > NT) with ppp -alias.  The NT box can ping/ftp/telnet to my freebsd box
 > > just fine.  The wierd thing is that if I run tcpdump on both rl0
 > > (ethernet) and tun0 (ppp), it appears as though the data is getting
 > > sent via the ppp (tun0) connection, and the data from the internet is getting
 > > received via tun0 and put out on rl0.  I'm not sure what to look at
 > > next.  I do not have options IPFIREWALL or IPDIVERT in my kernel, but
 > > I do have gateway set to YES in rc.conf.  Any suggestions?
 >
 > I think it's working as advertised.

One would think so, but the NT box never sees any traffic originating
from the internet.  Local traffic between the FreeBSD and NT boxes
gets to the NT box just fine, but anything else looks fine according
to tcpdump, but never gets recognized by the NT box.

The NT box has TCP/IP, IP address is 10.0.2.17, subnet mask
255.255.255.0, gateway 10.0.2.15, and the FreeBSD rl0 is configured
as 10.0.2.15, netmask 255.255.255.0 and broadcast 255.255.255.255.
This was working fine before I upgraded (although I was using a NE2000
card then, and the NE2000 seems to have died since then), and I don't
understand why local traffic works, but anything returning from the
internet does not.