Date:      Wed, 07 Jun 2006 06:23:15 +0400
From:      Yuri Pankov <yuri.pankov@gmail.com>
To:        Andrew Reilly <andrew-freebsd@areilly.bpc-users.org>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mb recommendation

On Tue, 2006-06-06 at 23:36 +1000, Andrew Reilly wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 04:25:38PM +0400, Yuri Pankov wrote:
> > David Reid wrote:
> > >At present I have an ABIT AN-8 Ultra MB which features the nVidia nForce
> > >4 chipset. Given nVidia's attitude to releasing information and the
> > >resultant lack of information/drivers on FreeBSD I've finally decided to
> > >change it. Requirements are SATA (ideally with raid) and PCI-e. ATX
> > >form. Anyone got any recommendations?
> > >
> > >Thanks,
> > >
> > >david
> >
> > Following URL http://www.freebsd.org/platforms/amd64/motherboards.html
> > can provide some info on motherboards for amd64 platform.
> >
> > I'm using Gigabyte K8NXP-SLI. Onboard NForce4 SATA controller is working
> > without issues, though RAID functionality is not tested.
>
> What are you using for a network adaptor?  I've never been able
> to get the nve driver to work with the nForce4 MCP9 (?) on board
> my Gigabyte K8N9(?) motherboard.  I had been happily getting by
> with a spare intel 21143 (dc) PCI card until I upgraded to
> 6.1-STABLE this morning (after about a month away on holidays).
> Now I can't get either to work, even though ifconfig seems to be
> doing all of the right things.
>
> All of the other on-board things work fine: SATA, FW, memory
> etc.
>
> Cheers,

I'm using onboard NIC, which is recognized as nve0: <NVIDIA nForce MCP9
Networking Adapter>. It's working fine after fixes in
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=96391. According to changelog
in this commit
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/dev/nve/if_nve.c?rev=1.7.2.9&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup&only_with_tag=RELENG_6 ,
changes from HEAD, which get rid of those nasty timeout(N) messages (and
actual small lockups during the chip reset), were MFCed recently.

Yuri