Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 1996 00:50:01 +0100
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@vector.jhs.local>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD Hackers' list)
Subject:   Re: Building a "custom" release of 2.1.0

Hi, Reference:
> From: "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
>
> > I want to build a release of  2.1 for a friend.  I have 430 MB available on
> > /y, is that enough ?
>
> I don't think so.  You'll probably want close to 650MB to do this,
> if memory serves me correctly.
>
> > My  primary problem is  that  I don't want to   build the release  with the
> > GENERIC kernel but with a custom one. What do I have to do for that ?
>
> If you don't want to check in your changes into your local repo (I
> assume you have a CVS tree there or you wouldn't even be able to do
> this) on the RELENG_2_1_0 branch then you've no choice but to simply
> watch the process as it goes along and then dash into the checked out
> copy of the tree right after the checkout is done and make your
> changes to it.

Jordan,
What was the rationale for FreeBSD going over to requiring CVS just to
produce a release ?  FreeBSD didn't use to do it that way.
Involving CVS takes longer, uses more disc, so why ?
Is it because the process becomes less stable, more likely to break,
& thus is some kind of sensitivity/stability test ?

Julian
--
Julian H. Stacey	jhs@freebsd.org  	http://www.freebsd.org/~jhs/