Date:      Fri, 24 Mar 2000 19:15:57 -0600
From:      Tony Cognata <tonyc@computerland.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Not UFS?

I really like FreeBSD 2.2.7 but recently I installed
version 3.4 on a different hard disk as a fresh installation (not an
upgrade).

     The installation floppy diskettes (krn.flp and mfsroot.flp)
successfully copied all of 3.4's distribution files into their /usr
/var and root / filesystems.  But when the system boots up for the
first time, this error pops up:

     not ufs
     not ufs
     No /boot/loader

Typing  0:wd(0,a)/kernel  doesn't work either.  The error returned is:

     not ufs
     no /kernel

How can the slice not be UFS?  The fdisk partition editor that the
floppies used to format the slice formatted it as Type 165, which is
FreeBSD UFS, the default.

     I'm kinda stumped.  Any ideas sure would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

     - Tony Cognata

       tonyc@computerland.net