Date:      Thu, 26 Jul 2001 10:49:37 +0200
From:      "Karel J. Bosschaart" <karelj@wop21.wop.wtb.tue.nl>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        Jim Arnold <jim@ohio.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: spontaneous reboots: how common in general?

On Wed, Jul 25, 2001 at 10:45:11PM -0700, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> I'll bet your running an IDE cdrom right?
>
> Stuff like this doesen't happen with SCSI because the SCSI command
> set is very tightly defined.  IDE/ATAPI on the other hand, particularly
> with CDROMs, is spec of the month.

I have this trouble with SCSI CDROMs as well, and reported to the -stable
list couple of weeks ago, but didn't get any response:
http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=871407+0+archive/2001/freebsd-stable/20010617.freebsd-stable

Would it make sense to send-pr this and provide a troublesome iso-image
by anon ftp?
Meanwhile I found that also -current (as of around 15 June) has the
same problem as well, with SCSI CDROM.

But generally, I'm very happy with the stability of FreeBSD; I had some
RAM problems causing spontaneous reboots, and I once had very weird freezes
that only happened with one certain program (run as normal user), on
a K6-2 processor with a certain stepping version, so I suppose there was some
odd hardware problem involved. But on recent FreeBSD versions even the
crashing K6-2's now appear to work perfectly with that program.

Karel.

<snip reboot when trying to copy file from CDROM>