Date:      Sat, 27 May 2000 11:39:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@nwlink.com>
To:        Steve McCarron <smccarro@pop500.gsfc.nasa.gov>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD File Systems

On Fri, 26 May 2000, Steve McCarron wrote:

>Can anyone give me very brief answers to the following two (2) questions:
>
>     (1) Can FreeBSD be installed using all FAT16, FAT32, NTFS, and Linux
>Ext2 file systems?

From /sys/i386/conf/LINT

options         MSDOSFS                 #MS DOS File System
options         NTFS                    #NT File System
options         EXT2FS

I think, but am not sure that msdosfs supports fat16 and fat32.

The LINT file is a good resource for this info.

>      (2) Is FreeBSD more like Unix or Linux?

FreeBSD comes directly from 4.4 BSD Unix. Linux does not have this
genealogy. Generally speaking many folks consider FreeBSD to be closer to
Unix.

I say FreeBSD _is_ unix (lower case u) but be careful with that pesky
trademark issue that TOG put on Unix (upper case U). The distinction is
one of terminology.

Thank You, 	| http://students.washington.edu/jcwells/
Jason Wells