Date:      Sat, 26 Sep 1998 18:26:09 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        jb@cimlogic.com.au, sos@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, wwoods@cybcon.com
Subject:   Re: Make worl error on -current elf ...please help

>> > The correct way is: "don't use NOAOUT". That's for people who know what
>> > they are doing. The lkms _are_ built during `make world'. You are not
>> > helping!
>>
>> Until we have a substitute for them, they should be build in all cases,
>> as they are vital to the system functioning.
>
>I keep repeating myself here. Sigh. They are. Don't use NOAOUT. It's like
>when you use NOPERL and ask why perl didn't get updated. If it hurts when
>you hit yourself on the head with a hammer, then don't hit yourself
>on the head with a hammer. Good grief!

NOAOUT has very little to do with the problem.  The problems are that the
aout libraries are not built and installed in $WORLDTMP before they are
used for linking certain lkm tools, and that these lkm tools are built
with -aout in CFLAGS, and that the problem is not seen in polluted test
environments because stale aout libraries are found in /usr/lib/aout,
and that libraries outside of $WORLDTMP are found at all.  Not using
NOAOUT just arranges for a polluted test environment by installing the
aout libraries.

Bruce