Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 2002 13:14:10 -0600
From:      Orrie <Orrie.Gartner@Colorado.EDU>
To:        "Jud" <jud@myrealbox.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATA RAID question

Jud,

  Thanks for your help.  The problem turns out to be an interaction
between the Promise Fasttrack 100 IDE-RAID and our Maxtor 160GB drives
and not a problem with support of this controller.  Any other size
drive that is smaller than the Maxtor 160GB seems to work fine (we
tried drives from 10 Gig to 80 Gig).  The odd thing is, the 160GB
drives work fine on the regular IDE controller, it just blows up when
they are attached to the Promise Fasttrack 100 IDE-RAID.

Here are the drives:

ad0: 156334MB <Maxtor 4G160J8> [317632/16/63] at ata0-master BIOSDMA
ad1: 156334MB <Maxtor 4G160J8> [317632/16/63] at ata0-slave BIOSDMA
ad2: 156334MB <Maxtor 4G160J8> [317632/16/63] at ata1-master BIOSDMA
ad3: 156334MB <Maxtor 4G160J8> [317632/16/63] at ata1-slave BIOSDMA
ad6: 156334MB <Maxtor 4G160J8> [317632/16/63] at ata3-master UDMA100

  Too bad we got these cheap and can't send them back.  Anyone else
out there attaching 160GB drives to a Promise Fasttrack RAID?

  Orrie
--------