Date:      Fri, 23 Oct 1998 08:05:14 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Robert J. Brown" <rjb@netpr.com>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Panic in 3.0

> > Ok, the first time this happened I didn't have savecore enabled. The first
> > panic produced this message:
> >
> > 	panic bt0: too few mailboxes or to many ccbs
>
> Hmm.  Where there any other messages leading up to this?

Nope. I was sitting at console, did the find command, and boom it just
panic'd with that message. It happened that one time, I rebooted, it
happened again (that's when it printed a screenful of info I couldn't
capture), and it hasn't happened since. That doesn't say much because the
machine is idle and isn't in production yet.

> This is almost certainly a firmware bug.  The card has mailbox
> space for 192 concurrent commands, your device configuration will
> allow at most ~68 concurrent commands, yet we ran into a mailbox
> that was left in the 'busy' state which should never happen.
> Leonard Zubkoff's BusLogic page also lists your firmware as
> problematic.  Take a look at:

Hmm interesting. I'm going to move back to 5.06J firmware and give that a
shot. I've used FreeBSD on 5.06I in the past and it's been very solid. Of
course, that was pre-3.0.

Thanks for the information.

-Rob

--
Robert J. Brown					Phone: 310-737-0096
Network Presence, LLC				Fax: 310-737-0196