Date:      Fri, 8 Dec 2000 23:42:44 +0100
From:      Philipp Reichmuth <reichmut@bonn.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   DSL/PPPoE problem

Hello there!

I'm currently having trouble installing DSL under FreeBSD
4.2-RELEASE.
Actually, it's German Telekom T-DSL, using PPPoE. I've posted it to
the German lists already, as some of you will probably have noticed.

The DSL cabling is OK. This is the ppp.conf file section:
- - - -----8< snip >8-----
tdsl:
 allow users user1 user2 user3
 set device PPPoE:ep1     # ep1 is the NIC I use for PPPoE.
 set MTU 1492
 set MRU 1492
 set dial
 set crtscts off
 set speed sync
 accept lqr
 disable deflate
 disable pred1
 disable vjcomp
 disable acfcomp
 disable protocomp
 set log Phase LCP IPCP CCP Warning Error Alert Lots Of Crap
 set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0
 add default HISADDR
 set login
 set authname array_of_numbers@t-online.de
 set authkey dontlookatme
 set server /some/socket 0700
 nat enable yes
 nat same_ports yes
- - - -----8< snip >8-----

Netgraph is compiled into the kernel.

When I call "ppp tdsl" and give it a "dial" command, I get chucked
out
after five seconds because there's no carrier. Doing "set cd off"
doesn't help because the man page says I need a carrier for PPPoE.
It's rather nicely deterministic, however: after "set cd N" I get
chucked out after N seconds. How cute.

So I guess something's wrong on the PPPoE layer. The tutorial I was
using contains some nice protocol dumps from the PPPoE layer; the guy
who made them says he did it using tcpdump(1); however, I can't think
of an interface to dump with tcpdump, as tun0 is out of the question
and ep1 doesn't work because it's not configured for TCP/IP, which
ought not to be necessary because I won't be talking IP to my ep1. So
basically, I don't know what to dump, unless I start to wriggle
around
with Netgraph. The solution I'd think of would be to hang an ng_bpf
node between the ng_pppoe node created by PPP and the ng_ether node
that represents my ep1. This doesn't work, however, because I can't
hang nodes between other nodes; I can just disconnect nodes from
other
nodes and reconnect them to third nodes. As soon as I disconnect the
ng_pppoe node, it gets shut down automatically which is a nice thing
but which doesn't help me at all. When I create a new pppoe node, PPP
won't use it, and when I start PPP without creating a new pppoe node,
PPP complains quite correctly about ep1:'s orphan hook being used by
the ng_bpf node, which he's quite right about. Now I'm quite new to
Netgraph, but I haven't got a clue what I could do to get a dump from
the PPPoE layer.

Is there anything else that could be wrong? How do I tcpdump the
PPPoE
layer? Am I just an idiot or is this difficult?

The machine I'm using is not spectacular. It's an ancient 486
DX4/133,
with an NE2000 and a 3COM 3c509 as NICs. The 3COM, like so many
3COMs,
gets mirrored as ep0 and ep1, ep0 is a shadow adapter that does
nothing except linger on the bus and confuse the PnP code, while ep1
is the actual adapter. This is in the problem list as kernel/18200,
but I don't think that's the fault. The ep1 gets auto-configured by
PnP to IRQ 9, but since there is no graphics adapter in the machine,
that probably doesn't hurt.

Anyhow, what can I do about the DSL problem? Any suggestions? Thanks
in advance.

Greetings
 Philipp                          mailto:reichmut@bonn.edu

Windows NT crashed / I am the Blue Screen of Death / No one hears
your screams