Date:      Tue, 15 Dec 1998 10:11:11 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@whistle.com>
To:        dillon@apollo.backplane.com (Matthew Dillon)
Cc:        thompson@gateway.tgsoft.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, dhw@whistle.com (David Wolfskill)
Subject:   Re: bin/8183

Matthew Dillon writes:
| :I just got bit *again* by bin/8183 (inetd reports "junk pointer: too low
| :to make sense"). Has a fix been decided on for this?
| :
| :-mark
| :
| :System:
| :FreeBSD squirrel.tgsoft.com 2.2.7-RELEASE FreeBSD 2.2.7-RELEASE #0: Wed Oct  7 12:19:37 PDT 1998     thompson@squirrel.tgsoft.com:/w/CVS/ipsec/src/sys/compile/MARX  i386
| :
| :p.s. Please pardon me if a fix has been committed and I did not work the
| :bugs database hard enough to find it.
| :
| :--
| :"It may be a named pipe to you, but it's a socket to me"
| :			    - dmr on an imaginary episode of Laugh In.
| :-mark <thompson@tgsoft.com>
|
|     I committed a fix to -current.  Are you running a -stable system?  I will
|     commit it to -stable too, I guess.

Note I applied this "fix" to my -current machine and now Amanda won't work.
It complains about bad packets.  Note it uses UDP.  Without this change
we didn't have this problem only that after 5 days inetd claimed it
can exec it.   Killing and restarting inetd doesn't help.  Running the
old one does.

I can try some fixes etc. but I may not be able to try them much in the
next to weeks and I may be away from email a couple of days.

Doug A.