Date:      Fri, 3 Oct 2003 11:04:16 -0700
From:      Gary Schenk <gwschenk@socal.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   using use.perl

I'm running 4.7-RELEASE as my home desktop. I've compiled perl 5.8 from
the ports. It was installed in /usr/local/bin/perl.

After that installation # perl -v resulted in perl, version  5.005_3

# /usr/local/bin/perl -v resulted in perl, v 5.8.0

If I call /usr/local/bin/perl in my scripts, I realize that the new
version will be used.

However after running the command # use.perl port, I wonder if old
scripts that call /usr/bin/perl will be interpreted under v 5.8.0.

If there was a symbolic link placed between /usr/local/bin/perl and
/usr/bin/perl which version would be used?

Thanks for straightening out my confusion.

Gary Schenk