Date:      Mon, 15 Apr 1996 16:39:00 +0200
From:      Herbert Wengatz <hwe@uebemc.siemens.de>
To:        dyson@freebsd.org
Cc:        torvalds@cs.helsinki.fi (Linus Torvalds), julian@ref.tfs.com, hackers@freebsd.org, linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu, hwe@uebemc.siemens.de
Subject:   Re: Unices are created equal, but ...

[..]
+> >
+> > If somebody wants to do benchmarking,I'd suggest using at least
+> >  - lmbench (nice microbenchmark)
+> >  - bonnie (reasonable disk performance benchmark)
+> >  - webstone (or something similar. But use "apache" as the server, not
+> >    some braindead horror like NCSA).
+> >  - ???
+> >
+> Above list is ok, but CERTAINLY not sufficient.

I'm *still* very fond of the BYTE-Benchmark, since it really does give you
an overall "Average" of your _whole_ system-performance.
It doesn't bench a single thing, but a quite different bundle, which is nice.

The included disk-benches wouldn't complain about disk-arrays. :-)

YES, it still leaves out things like network-performance and the X11-perf
of your system, but you get an impression, how fast it really *seems* to be
in average. - That's at least what you will receive, when you sit at your
machine as user. - That's the real life! :-)

So this Benchmark tells me more than a lot of sole-purpose-BMs. :(

Regards,

Herbert
Herbert Wengatz,82049 Pullach |Disclaim: This Mail is my own opinion,
Office :hwe@uebemc.siemens.de |not that of my company.                ***
Private:hwe@rtfact.muc.de     |                                      oo-)
http://www.muc.de/~hwe/rtfact (new & improved !!!!!!)                m_/