Date:      Fri, 4 Jan 2002 11:08:06 +0100
From:      Martin Kaeske <Martin.Kaeske@II.Stud.TU-Ilmenau.DE>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   path_mtu_discovery

Hello,
I'm using FreeBSD-4.4-STABLE and have an OpenBSD-2.9 router to
connect to the internet (via DSL). If i try to do a cvsup
(cvsup.de.freebsd.org, cvsup2.de.freebsd.org, cvsup.freebsd.org)
i'm getting a lot of "icmp: Destination unreachable, need to frag
<mtu 1488>" messages and cvsup fails (timeout). The curious thing
is if i disable net.inet.tcp.path_mtu_discovery or if i lower the
MTU to 1488, everything is fine (of course).
That's why i wanted to ask wether FreeBSD fails to lower the MTU
(it should lower it due to the icmp messages, shouldn't it?) or
is there any pppoe specific problem between me and the cvsup servers?

Martin
PS: AFAICS cvsup is the only problem ftp/http/nntp works fine
--
The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better, so I installed FreeBSD.

		-- Jim Levie in comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc --