Date:      Thu, 26 Jul 2001 11:18:19 +0200
From:      Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
To:        Mary N Koroleva <mnk@ripn.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and HP DLT1

Mary N Koroleva wrote:

> Are there among us happy owners HP DLT or HP DLT1? ;-)
>
> If - yes, would you be so kind to share one's experiences
> of work with them with me?

DELL DLT1. In fact, all DLT 1 tape mechanisms are manufactured by
Benchmark. Connect, power up, scan the scsi bus, and forget about the
device. Just pop in a tape when you'll need it. Never had any tape read
or write error, and best of all is you have to clean the tape only when
the cleaning light blinks. This is the case after a few months of daily
use. Single-file restore time needs less than five minutes. I'd never go
back to DDS tapes.

HTH
-Christoph Sold