Date:      Thu, 14 Dec 2000 04:12:14 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        wjc@work.cleartech.com
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: weird pnpbios pcmcio interaction

> <ben@stonehenge-net.com> wrote:
> > after cvsuping i recompiled the kernel with PNPBIOS and ever since am
> > getting kernel panics whenever  my
> > nic is inserted (3c574).
>
>   As I reported several days ago, I've been having similar problems.
>
>   After syncing with -STABLE on November 13, my IBM 600E would hang
> when inserting or removing PC cards (3Com 3C589D and 3CXM556), or
> booting with them installed, if 'options PNPBIOS' was in the kernel
> conf.

I've thought about this for a while, and all I can really offer right now
is the observation that IBM ThinkPads are Really Weird.  Not very
helpful, sorry. 8(

>   This did not used to happen when I was running 4.1-RELEASE.
>
>   My most recent sync was on November 28.  The nature of the problem
> has changed a little.  Here's the current behavior:
>
>   1) If 'options PNPBIOS' is not in the kernel conf, then there's no
>      problem.
>
>   2) With 'options PNPBIOS', if my kernel conf has:
>
> 	device          card
> 	device          pcic0   at isa? irq 3 port 0x3e0 iomem 0xd0000
> 	device          pcic1   at isa? irq 0 port 0x3e2 iomem 0xd4000 disable
>
>      then the system hangs shortly after going to multi-user if either
>      or both of my PC cards were installed during the boot.  If
>      neither was installed during boot, then I can insert and remove
>      them without problems after the system is up.
>
>   3) With 'options PNPBIOS', if my kernel conf has:
>
> 	device          card
> 	device          pcic0   at isa? irq 0 port 0x3e0 iomem 0xd0000
> 	device          pcic1   at isa? irq 0 port 0x3e2 iomem 0xd4000 disable
>
>      then there are no hangs regardless of what I do with the PC
>      cards, but APM suspend no longer works correctly if either or
>      both of the PC cards is installed.  I do the "Fn-F4" keystroke
>      to suspend, and the system does suspend, but it then immediately
>      awakens itself.

Try 'sleep 5; zzz' - this may be a known problem with wakeup events being
delivered late.

>   When the hang problem occurs, there is no panic or other kernel
> message.  The system appears to freeze completely, although it still
> shows PC card removal messages if I remove a card (but not insertion
> messages if I insert a card).

I can intuit that there are interrupt-related issues here, but it's hard
to know what might be going on.

> unknown: <PNP0000> can't assign resources
> unknown: <PNP0303> can't assign resources
> unknown: <PNP0401> can't assign resources
> unknown: <PNP0501> can't assign resources
> unknown: <PNP0700> can't assign resources
> unknown: <PNP0680> can't assign resources

These are all standard devices.

> unknown: <CSC0103> can't assign resources

This is part of the soundcard.

> unknown: <IBM3780> can't assign resources

This is your trackpoint.

> unknown: <IBM0071> can't assign resources

This is the IRDA port.

> unknown: <IBM3765> can't assign resources

And I don't know what this is.  I don't *think* it's the pccard/cardbus
stuff, which is the only real way I can imagine that PNPBIOS could
"rightfully" be tripping you up.

If you can narrow down the date at which the PNPBIOS option actually
started causing you problems, it might be possible to work out what is
actually going on.  If you have a local CVS repository and a little time,
a binary search between a "known broken" and "known working" date should
be pretty easy.

Thanks for the feedback; sorry that I don't have any better answers for
you. 8(