Date:      21 Nov 2001 10:05:36 -0600
From:      James McNaughton <jtm63@enteract.com>
To:        Tom Kersten <tomkersten98@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   XFree86 virtual resolution (was: none)

Tom Kersten <tomkersten98@yahoo.com> writes:

> Long version of what is wrong:
> I installed FreeBSD 4.4 from the cdrom I ordered. I
> read on the XFree86 site and in my graphics card's
> manual that it would not function with an XFree
> version less than 4.1.0 (whether this is true or
> not...I am not sure)...so I installed the 4.1.0
> version from the XFree site. Everything went great.
> Then, I went through the XFree86 -configure setup (the
> text based one) following all the information from the
> XFree site...this also went fine. I then installed KDE
> 2.2, which installed smoothly and started up. That is
> where the problem is. My screen seems to have a
> "virtual" parameter set because my desktop is too big
> for my screen (it moves as I move my mouse to the
> borders...I am sure you know what it is). So, I looked
> in the X-config file, but there is no "virtual"
> parameter set. Then I thought maybe it was something
> with my monitor setup. So, I went through a few
> tutorials and the walkthrough in "The Complete
> FreeBSD" to set up my monitor. After doing so, nothing
> changed. Is there another file I need to modify? What
> am I doing wrong?

As far as I can tell, you are doing nothing wrong. This is a feature
of XFree86. I can't remember if there's a way to do what you want,
which is for resolution changes to reset the size of the root window,
but the place for information would be http://www.xfree86.org/ as this
is _really_ an issue with XFree86 and not specific to FreeBSD or any
OS.

> Any suggestions are appreciated very much, as I have
> already lost too much sleep over something that should
> be much easier than I have made it.

Welcome to the club. I once spent a week trying to fix a problem. I
scanned the man page over and over looking for the answer. Then, I
read the man page carefully and found the one sentence that told me
what to do. It was a learning experience on more than one level. The
upside is the sense of satisfaction that comes with learning how to do
what you want to do.

> Thanks in advance,

You're welcome in advance.