Date:      Fri, 8 Dec 2000 16:43:27 -0600
From:      Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Subject:   Re: Weird /tmp issues

Mike Meyer (mwm@mired.org) wrote:

> Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com> types:
> I run tmp on swap (via mfs), and it works fine. However, it gets
> recreated *on reboots*. I didn't see you talk about a reboot - have
> you tried that?

Oh yes. And even after a reboot, /tmp is filled with all kinds of crap,
namely those unix domain sockets and lockfiles created by X.

> X creates lock files and unix domain sockets in /tmp. If you don't
> want to reboot with the new /tmp in place, you might try moving
> /tmp.old/.X* to /tmp.

The sockets have been causing trouble. When I tried to mv /tmp /usr/tmp,
I get an "Operation not permitted" on every socket. I have not tried to
move the sockets separately.

I can mv /tmp all over the root filesystem, of course; just not to any
other filesystems. (I assume mv renames if the target filesystem
is the same as the source, and copies the files otherwise.)

Those sockets remain even after a reboot; even if I don'r run X.
Is this normal? I would think if you shutdown X, it would remove
all its lockfiles and sockets. It seems as if X requires those
sockets to run, because if I move /tmp, my display and keyboard
both fail until a reboot.

I searched deja.com regarding this issue, and found a message from
someone who said "I like to move /tmp to a diferent filesystem before X
has a chance to establish sockets there."

--
Christopher Farley
Northern Brewer / 1150 Grand Avenue / St. Paul, MN 55105