Date:      Mon, 26 Mar 2001 09:08:43 +0900
From:      "Luke Kearney" <lukek@tkh.att.ne.jp>
To:        "Free BSD" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Sound Problems

Hi All,
After wrestling with my system and getting what appears to be a functional
sound card I went for the big test by firing up Xmms and trying to get some
mp3 action.  Things came to a grinding halt about then when I was rudely
advised by Xmms that it could not open /dev/audio. Hmm well I was running it
as a plain old user so I checked the permissions on the various devices. OK
they key ones /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer were set at 777 so that should be OK
shouldn't it ? The plugin I am trying to use is OSS driver and the sound
card is a Creative CT4810.

[otemachi:root/516]#cat /dev/sndstat
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm) Mar 25 2001 23:16:24
Installed devices:
pcm0: <AudioPCI ES1371> at io 0xd000 irq 5 (1p/1r channels duplex)
[otemachi:root/517]#fstat /dev/audio
USER     CMD          PID   FD MOUNT      INUM MODE         SZ|DV R/W NAME

A quick check to make sure that it is really present does reveal that the
card is there but I cannot for the life of me figure out why it refuses to
play.

Any hints or advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Lukek

Unix IS user friendly it's  just particular about who its friends ARE.

XMMS is not so Friendly and doesn't play nicely with others