Date:      Sat, 17 Feb 2001 00:30:26 +0100 (CET)
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   NCARG lib 4.2.2 / FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE

Dear Sirs.
I got the NCAR Graphics source code version 4.2.2. After reading
the INSTALL file, editing some lines in ./config/ymake so
FreeBSD could be recognized I changed at last a line like this

set hostname=host$hostname

set hostname=MYHOSTNAME
set defines=($defines -D$hostname)

because a "pointed" hostname is not accepted by the installation
routine. But doing this, the compiler fails.

Then I cleaned a search path failure related to cpp.
After doing this, I type Configure -v and realized that all
standard paths are misspelled (there is a gap between the last path's item
and its previous segment). Typing the new exact path works, and at
the end  I can type make Everything and I could see how Makefiles are built -
until it reaches ncarview ... :-(

There I get this error:

Making Makefiles in ./ncarview
Making Makefiles in ./ncarview/src
Making Makefiles in ./ncarview/src/lib
Making Makefiles in ./ncarview/src/lib/libcgm
Making Makefiles in ./ncarview/src/lib/libncarg_ras
Making Makefiles in ./ncarview/src/lib/libctrans
Making Makefiles in ./ncarview/src/lib/libictrans
In file included from ../../../../config/Template:837,
from :1:
ymake.tmp42023:45: unterminated character constant

Error in <ymake>: Interrupted in /usr/homes/gnu/compile/system/ncarg-4.2.2/ncarview/src/lib/libictrans - restoring Makefile
cp: Makefile.bak: No such file or directory
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/homes/gnu/compile/system/ncarg-4.2.2/ncarview/src/lib.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/homes/gnu/compile/system/ncarg-4.2.2/ncarview/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/homes/gnu/compile/system/ncarg-4.2.2/ncarview.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/homes/gnu/compile/system/ncarg-4.2.2.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/homes/gnu/compile/system/ncarg-4.2.2.

Does anyone know the trick there?

--
MfG
O. Hartmann

ohartman@mail.physik.uni-mainz.de
IT-Administration des Institut fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz

Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinensaal)