Date:      Sun, 24 Feb 2002 11:26:02 -0300
From:      Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira <lioux@FreeBSD.org>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Network stalls with 4.5

> Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 12:08:45 +0100
> Subject: Re: Network stalls with 4.5
>
> On Sun, 24 Feb 2002 00:14:40 -0800
> Franco Gasperino <franco@icehouse.net> wrote:
>

> >   I believe it is the problem mentioned on the list a few weeks ago.
> >   There was some sort of bug between fbsd 4.3 hosts that went away in
> >   4.4 release, but resurfaced in 4.5. I see the same behavior with
> >   transfers between a 4.4 release and 4.5 release host, but if either
> >   endpoint is switched out for a linux/win system, the transfers work
> >   fine. This may have been corrected in - -stable, but it appears in
> >   -release.
> >

> Well, my problem is with every host. I use ISDN and every time when i
> connect to a host (ftp/http/scp....) the speed is at 7k and then it goes
> down until it's stalled. 5seconds later it gets up and the transfer is
> normal for a while but then the speed goes down etc...So i downgraded to
> 4.4-RELEASE and the problem went away.So the problem only appeared on
> 4.5-RELEASE and 4.5-STABLE.

	Are you using the absolutely latest -STABLE?
If not, could you try disabling syncache?

sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.syncookies=0

and disabling rfc1323

sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.rfc1323=0

	Test of the disabling(s) separetly. Let us know if it
corrects anything. syncache has received some corrections this last
week, if it was the problem, updating to latest -STABLE may fix it.
As per rfc1323, it should not be a problem but some ppl have reported
problems.
	I have both activated but your mileage may vary.
Please report your findings to the list.

	Regards,

--
Mario S F Ferreira - DF - Brazil - "I guess this is a signature."
Computer Science Undergraduate | FreeBSD Committer | CS Developer