Date:      Thu, 8 Mar 2001 15:24:09 +1100
From:      Murray Taylor <mtaylor@bytecraft.com.au>
To:        "'Stephen Cimarelli'" <stephen@clari.net.au>
Cc:        "'freebsd-net@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Firewalls and Samba

It aint the firewall!!

Further to default routes etc .....

I believe that I have cured the problem (final testing after the network
number shift
to the 10.x.y.z range and I connect the phone line!)

Factoids:
A  Windoze computers on the network are given IP numbers via DHCP from an NT
Server
	these include such things as the machine IP number
	WINS server IP numbers, the DHCP server number,
	the subnet mask and a default gateway

B our company network has (for the convenience of the R&D noddies) a gateway
defined
into their internal - internal development network...which protects us from
it too ;-)
This gateway is the one distributed via DHCP above.

C I didnt (and still dont) have all the company IP #'s in the hosts table or
the named tables.
( I've only got the 5 or so that I am directly dealing with for our web
development )

D ppp was starting up with the
	"set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0 255.255.255.255" and
	"add default HISADDR" lines
 which of course setup a default route in the FreeBSD box

E Samba is running on the FreeBSD box to allow W9x machines access certain
shares

F ipfw is up and running with a bunch of rules including
	"1100 deny ip from 10.0.0.0/0 to any via tun0"

Result:
M$ Explorer, when attempting to map the networked shares to a machine
booting up
encounters the Samba shares, and then it seems that somewhere M$ Explorer
and /or Samba
get bent out of shape by the default route on the FBSD box and tries to use
it
(for what I dont know). One then has to cancel the attempt to attach the
shares or wait for the
error "I cant do this" popup dialog.  When the M$ machine has finished
booting,
going into Explorer and attempting to open the unattached shares, returns
(eventually) the
informative message that the "device is not attached to the network"....

Mind you I am into the FreeBSD machine with telnet, can open a website on it
via IE5
and can ping it to my hearts content...

THE SOLUTION I think!

remove the add default line from ppp.conf
add it to the ppp.linkup file
add a matching delete all line to ppp.linkdown

and forgo auto dialling as there is not a default route pointing to the tun0
device
until it is open (catch 22)

I'm still not sure if there is a bug lurking in one side or the other here,
and if this is
just a work around or if this is the 'correct' way of doing things

cheers and thanks (Stephen in particular)
Murray Taylor
Project Engineer

Bytecraft P/L	+61 3 9587 2555
		+61 3 9587 1614 fax