Date:      Mon, 11 Oct 1999 08:25:24 +1000 (EST)
From:      Andrew MacIntyre <andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au>
To:        Jaime Kikpole <jaime@malkav.snowmoon.com>
Cc:        Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@internetcds.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Booting from RAID5 array?

I'm definitely no expert, but I've fiddled with SCSI occasionally.

On Sat, 9 Oct 1999, Jaime Kikpole wrote:

> On Sat, 9 Oct 1999, Jaye Mathisen wrote:
> > The messages sound normal.
> > Being SCSI won't affect DOS normal booting, the DPT supports the DOS int13
> > functions.
>
> 	If I boot from a DOS boot floppy with fdisk on it, and type fdisk,
> I get the error message "No fixed disks" (or something like that).  My
> best thoughts are that DOS doesn't find the array at all.  Or that the
> BIOS (or some other part) aren't remporting its existance.  Yet booting
> from FreeBSD 3.3-Release disks (kern.flp and mfs.flp) allows me to install
> to the disk da0 and see the dpt0 controller.  Why would FreeBSD see it and
> the BIOS (or other part) and MS-DOS not?

The FreeBSD GENERIC kernel on the floppy (as of 3.2 for sure) has DPT
support.

> > When the system boots, does it find the DPT controller first or the
> > Adaptec?
>
> 	The Netfinity boot messages list the built-in Adaptec SCSI
> subsystem and then the DPT card.

Can you disable the Adaptec boot support?  Preferably disable it
completely (in BIOS or system config)?

It seems to me as though the Adaptec is blocking any handover of the boot
process to the DPT

E-mail: andrew.macintyre@aba.gov.au    (work) | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au  (play) |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
Fido:   Andrew MacIntyre, 3:620/243.18        |        Australia