Date:      Fri, 11 Sep 1998 21:10:32 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Roger Marquis <marquis@roble.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sshd

> The 2.2.6 man pages incorrectly identify /etc as the location of
> hosts.{allow,deny}.  FWIW, /etc is the default location on every

This was fixed.

> were expected to be.  This is one of the many FreeBSD ports that (IMHO)
> offer no advantages over the original package.

They're not necessarily supposed to offer any "advantage" over the
original, simply to offer convenient one stop shopping for people
looking for it.  In any case, the whole /etc vs /usr/local/etc
argument has already come and gone in this mailing list several times
so I won't revive it. :)

> The recommended sshd startup method used to be /etc/rc*(/*), probably
> for historical reasons.  It may still be a good idea on slow CPUs,
> where it can take a while to generate a session key, or where
> inetd.conf isn't running, however, in my experience, sshd is much more
> reliably run from inetd.

I haven't had that experience myself, so I guess it's one of those
different strokes kinda issues.

- Jordan