Date:      Sat, 26 Sep 1998 19:00:48 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, jb@cimlogic.com.au
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, sos@FreeBSD.ORG, wwoods@cybcon.com
Subject:   Re: Make worl error on -current elf ...please help

>> NOAOUT has very little to do with the problem.  The problems are that the
>> aout libraries are not built and installed in $WORLDTMP before they are
>> used for linking certain lkm tools, and that these lkm tools are built
>> with -aout in CFLAGS, and that the problem is not seen in polluted test

>Would installing all the aout libraries in $WORLDTMP be the simplest
>solution given that lkms in aout format have a limited life expectancy?
>Is this only a `make world' & $WORLDTMP problem?

Simplest: use ${CFLAGS:N-aout:N-elf} instead of ${CFLAGS} for building
linux_genassym.

Correct: use the same rules as the kernel Makefile for building
linux_genassym.  The latter are currently given in files.i386.  I don't
like putting elaborate rules in conf/files i386/conf/files.i386.  They
clutter the files lists and are harder to write than rules in Makefiles,
and still aren't visible in LKM makefiles.  Perhaps the rules should be
collected in bsd.kern.mk.  Then they would only do anything (except waste
a tiny amount of time) if the files that they are for are actually used.
Most of the rules in Makefile.i386 aren't i386-specific and could go
there too.

Bruce