Date:      Thu, 31 May 2001 22:59:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        Eric Boucher <eric_boucher60@yahoo.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: can't send e-mail with "mail" or "sendmail"

On Thu, 31 May 2001, Eric Boucher wrote:

> Hi again everyone,
>
> I have some problem sending e-mail from the unix shell
> at the command line. First, I have to say that I am
> able to send e-mail with netscape. But I want to use
> "mail" or "mailx" or "sendmail" to send e-mail and it
> didn't work. Can somebody guide me to debug my
> problem? Where can I start to look at to make it
> works? I have to say that "mail" works fine on our
> local network. But not over the internet.

OK... wild guess. You have your Netscape set up with your
company's mail server for outgoing mail, but you are running
a FreeBSD machine and trying to use command line mail, or invoke
sendmail directly.

It may be that your company's LAN does not allow connections
to port 25 on hosts outside the company LAN. This is what
sendmail would try to do, lacking other instructions.

You may need to set up "Smart Relay Host" in your sendmail.cf file
to point to your company's mail server.

Also, the "-v" flag will tell you a lot.

mail -v someone@foo.com . This will allow you to watch the SMTP
connection happen.

-Jim Durham