Date:      Thu, 7 Jan 2016 19:44:08 +0100
From:      Michael Grimm <trashcan@odo.in-berlin.de>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   soft restart of a jail

Hi =E2=80=94

I recently migrated regular jails to VNET jails, and I am pretty much =
pleased about their new opportunities.

During that exercise I ran across the sysutils/iocage jail managment =
system, where I first read about a feature called "soft restart of a =
jail". If I understand it correctly, here one doesn't remove/start a =
jail including its network stack, but one only restarts a jail's =
"content", instead.

I did try to understand iocage's code, but I am unsure whether I got it =
right: previously defined routing is removed, followed by a /bin/sh =
/etc/rc.shutdown and /bin/sh /etc/rc, and finalized by a =
reimplementation of a previously removed routing. (I hope that I got =
that right.)

Here my question: wouldn't a "/bin/sh /etc/rc.shutdown ; /bin/sh =
/etc/rc" be sufficient? Is it necessary to remove/reinstall routing as =
well?

Again: I might be completely misunderstandig the code of iocage, thus my =
questions to those with more knowledge.

Thanks and regards,
Michael