Date:      Wed, 3 May 1995 15:39:07 +0200 (MESZ)
From:      Hinrich Eilts <eilts@late.e-technik.uni-erlangen.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   /etc/nologin and mount_nfs (union)

For installing FreeBSD-2.0R on several PS's, I installed /usr/* and most
of /etc/* on a NFS-server (HP 9000-700), rest on PC's. These directories
are exported with root-access and mounted at boottime right after
/etc/netstart in rc by
mount -o union -t nfs server-ip-no:/BSD/etc /etc
mount -t nfs server-ip-no:/BSD/usr /usr
Everything work fine at now, except shutdown: /etc/nologin remain
often (but not everytime) in /etc and even the rm -f /etc/nologin in rc
will not remove it, I have to login as root and remove it. There seem to be
two problems:
1) /etc is unmounted before shutdown unlinks /etc/nologin
2) rm -f /etc/nologin doesn't work reliable in rc

Hinrich

--
            Hinrich Eilts
 Uni:   eilts@late.e-technik.uni-erlangen.de             | G i b   D O S |