Date:      Thu, 16 May 2002 13:08:05 +0100
From:      Marc Rogers <marcr@closed-networks.com>
To:        mohammad mirzaeenasir <hezare3@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HELP ME

 The obvious option is for you to place a firewall (either locally, or another
machine) between the internet and your machine. By firewalling transparently
either by using a stealth firewall or a totally transparent firewall any
attackers that try to connect to firewalled ports will get timeouts.

[The firewall should be configured to drop offending packets silently, as any
politeness, such as informing the source that the destination is administratively
blocked will betray the firewall]

 To be honest you probably dont have alot to gain. The vast majority of scanning
that goes on out on the net is automated to some extent. This means unless
the tool is unable to route to your machine at all, it will still try
to scan every port it has been instructed to check. the presence of even a
single open (or closed / filtered)  port (mail,ssh, web etc) will betray the
existence of a firewalled machine.

 I guess the success of this depends entirely on who is going to be using
your machine. If there are no public services, then by using a "denied unless
explicitly permitted" approach you will achieve a fairly good result.

Hope this helps

Marc Rogers
Senior Systems Administrator
Systems Architect