Date:      Tue, 30 Jan 2001 01:49:17 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Boris Staeblow <balu@dva.in-berlin.de>
Cc:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG, brian@Awfulhak.org
Subject:   Re: ppp dialin didn't work with userland ppp

Hi,

How are you actually executing ppp ?  If you're using ``regprog'' and
``regexpr'', are you invoking ppp with something like

  #! /bin/sh
  ppp -direct whatever <>/dev/i4brbch0

ppp must be started with a readable *and* writable stdin.  I only
recently added the <> syntax to the FreeBSD ``sh''.  Previously it
was only available using bash (or probably zsh).  I guess if you're
running -stable you've got that though :-)

> On Sun, Jan 28, 2001 at 11:18:21PM +0000, Brian Somers wrote:
>
> > > tun0: IPCP: deflink: LayerStart.
> > > tun0: IPCP: deflink: SendConfigReq(1) state = Closed
> > > tun0: IPCP:  IPADDR[6]  0.0.0.0
> > > tun0: IPCP:  COMPPROTO[6]  16 VJ slots with slot compression
> > [.....]
> > > tun0: IPCP: deflink: State change Closed --> Req-Sent
> > > tun0: Error: DoLoop: select(): Bad file descriptor
> > > tun0: Debug: DoLoop done.
> > [.....]
> > > Boris
> >
> > Looks like the peer is going away - perhaps due to you asking for
> > 0.0.0.0 as an IP number.  What's the story on the client side ?  Is
> > the client supposed to be deciding on the server's IP number (an
> > unusual setup) ?
>
> I've changed my setup to static ip numbers, but it didn't fix
> the problem.
>
> I dialup with a Windows 98 system, static IP: 10.1.0.111,
> to FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE, i4b 00.96, userland ppp via rbch0,static IP: 10.1.0.101.
> Same problem with dynamic IP-adresses and/or with the original i4b from -stable.
> The dialup works with sppp via ispX from i4b!
>
> Boris
[.....]

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@[uk.]FreeBSD.org>