Date:      Fri, 09 Feb 2001 00:24:06 -0600
From:      Scott D <digitalox@earthlink.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Is it possible to recover from kernel panics?

The other day when trying to write a new device driver, I caused a kernel
panic. I know I should learn more about how freebsd works first, but i am
plunging in headfirst here as I already have some programming skills.

I used my freebsd cd to boot into the emergency live file system, but could
not seem to mount /boot to copy the old kernel onto the broken one or
otherwise fix things.  I had the filesystem broken up into four or five
logical partitions on my ide drive, but all /dev of the emergency
filesystem would show was the four primaries. I mounted the primary it was
on but the entirety of the filesystem would not show up. I never could get
/boot to mount or find a solution, so I finally gave up and reinstalled.

Is there a way to be prepared or recover from this? I'm sure I'll be doing
this again soon...

Thanks,
Scott